Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lessons from a week plus on the road

First, I gotta say: the iPad is a phenomenal travel device. I didn't expect to find any differently.

Perhaps its most notable failing is that it's difficult to use for navigation while driving, but that's not a terribly safe operation anyway.

My uncle and I used it twice to reserve hotel rooms, including once from the parking lot of a rival hotel across the street. We arrived at the desk before our reservations did.

Beyond the iPad, this trip made it clear that I'd love to spend more time traveling. Shame travel is so bloody expensive.

The Everglades are a remarkable, precious resource. I'm grateful we awoke to the value of wetlands before we wiped them entirely off the map. I'd love to see what northwest Indiana looked like when it was one vast wetland.

Sunscreen is a valuable resource too. Three hours of driving with the top off through central Florida on the first day nearly prematurely ended my vacation. Hard to enjoy 90+ยบ weather when any direct contact with sunlight causes pain.

Oh, and random AirTran clerk? When I tell you I want a window seat, I don't mean a seat at the rear of the plane on the outer edge but with no window. Even the row ahead of me, which was graced with a window, was treated to a view of the engine and nothing else.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:E Washington St,Cumberland,United States

No comments: