Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dead Man's Cell Phone

I completed the Sarah Ruhl Indy-area trifecta tonight by catching Dead Man's Cell Phone, performed by the Carmel Players.

It was entertaining, but in retrospect, I wish I hadn't known it was a Ruhl play. During the first act, I waited for it to capture me like In the Next Room or Eurydice; I finally had to reset my expectations in order to enjoy myself.

Not that the actors let me down; I think they did a fine job. However, the script itself simply wasn't up to the level of the others, or perhaps it didn't play to my sensibilities–your mileage may vary.

Nonetheless, the play was well-cast and performed. Diann Ryan took advantage of a juicy role as the domineering mother, and Catherine Nading was delightfully wicked. I was unsurprised to discover via the playbill that she had formerly played Lady Macbeth; I suspect she took to that character like a fish to water.

Greg Howard was deliciously amoral. Despite being the "title" character (and perhaps fittingly for someone playing a dead man) he had far too little stage time: his monologue directed to the audience was the first scene that really grabbed my attention, and sadly it didn't occur until after intermission.

The stage hands played to the audience during scene transitions, but I found the effect uneven at best. Suzie Catering made sure she was noticed, but the other performers mostly failed to leave an impression.

Overall, I'm glad I went, but it won't be one that sticks with me like the other Ruhl plays.

No comments: