Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Green, Indiana

One amusing coincidence I discovered this week (purely by coincidence!) is that of the four (now ten, see the updates below) "Green" towns & cities I'm aware of in Indiana, three are hosting county fairs this week.
  • Greenfield, Hancock County, July 10-17
  • Greensburg, Decatur County, July 10-17
  • Greentown, Howard County, July 13-19
Greenwood, regrettably, is missing, but only because Johnson County's fair is held in Franklin, starting on the 19th.

I hope to hit Greentown tomorrow, completing my personal trifecta, having been to Greensburg and Greenfield already this week.

(How was the discovery of this coincidence a coincidence? I was driving from the Fulton county fair Tuesday to Peru for their Circus festival when I heard a promo for the Howard county fair on a Peru radio station.)

Update: Out of curiosity, I googled "Greenville Indiana" and discovered there is such a place. Per Wikipedia, it was supposed to be the county seat for Floyd county, which hosted its fair last week. Darned New Albany meddler.

PPS: It occurred to me that Wikipedia would be a good way to figure out how many other Greens I missed. Per the Towns / Cities in Indiana categories, there are ten in all: Greencastle, Greendale, Greenfield, Greensburg, Greenwood, Greens Fork, Greensboro, Greentown, Greenville, and Etna Green. I can only imagine how fun it is to tell people you're from Etna Green, Indiana.

No comments: