Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tourism 101

I'm on a quest to visit all the county fairs in Indiana. Not this year specifically, but someday.

Now, let me ask you this: how difficult should it be to locate the county fairgrounds?

Marion County has a difficult to reach location, but it's easy to identify on a map, and their website has a map on the front page.

Most counties don't have a dedicated website for their fairgrounds, but many have information available through Purdue, and others through local newspapers, chambers of commerce, etc.

But they apparently assume that if you want to go, you already know where you're going.

Look at Clinton County, for example. So far as I can tell, the best place to look for information is here, via Purdue.

They have an address in Frankfort for contact information. Is this the fairgrounds? Beats me. I've been reduced in some occasions to looking at satellite imagery for addresses to see if it looks promising.

One of the best (well, one of the only) general resources is Countyfairgrounds, USA, but they can't pinpoint many of them closer than a town/city name.

I've have spent literally hours looking for fairgrounds before/during my excursions, and I've been to only 6 so far this week. C'mon, Hoosiers, you can do better than this.

Update: Of course, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'm having better success with the Purdue Extension website. There is a "Directions" link associated with most (all?) counties that I had previously not noticed or had ignored that has addresses for the fairgrounds.

No comments: