Sunday, April 4, 2010

iPad, Day 2

Yesterday was too busy with initial setup and seeing friends and family to post anything, so here are my thoughts on the iPad after the first day. 

First, wow. Such an utterly silent yet fast computer. I find myself waiting on my iPhone all the time; no such problem with the iPad. And the immersive quality of the experience of working with this thing is indescribable.  

Before I ladle the praise on too heavily, however, I must point out one possibly killer flaw: ergonomics.

I'm trying to find someplace in my house where I can comfortably type out this post, for example, and not having much luck. 

My glasses are too small. When I'm reclining, the iPad naturally falls below their coverage range. 

If I hold it with my palms against my bent legs as I recline and type, I can see and type well enough, even touch typing to a remarkable degree, but there must be a better way. 

Perhaps a case or the keyboard dock will make the difference. Both should arrive this week. 

Other general comments:
  • iPhone apps aren't satisfying at all. Functional, but I spend as little time as possible using them.

  • Did I mention how fast this thing is?

  • Web browsing is a much more fulfilling experience than on an iPhone. I'm no longer looking through a tiny peephole at the splendor of the Internet.

No comments: