Monday, April 5, 2010

iPad, Day 3

Curiously, today I was able to experience a (nearly) full day of work on my iPad. My laptop froze, and when I power cycled it, the filesystem was corrupted. Hello, re-install.

It was also my first day at work with the iPad, so a good portion of the day was spent giving demos to my curious co-workers.

What have I learned?
  • Star Walk for iPad is the killer marketing app Apple should consider preloading on every iPad. Hand that to someone, and they suddenly get it. THIS is why "just a larger iPhone" is the whole point of the device.
  • (Or as I read today in an excellent article on TidBITS, "As our friend Ken Case of The Omni Group has said, size matters, which is why a swimming pool is not just a big bathtub".)
  • Magic Piano is a close second in inspirational qualities, while Netflix can generate more "traditional" enthusiasm.
  • An iPad will never replace a true general-purpose computer for IT support technicians. The best apps that I've found for logging into remote systems, iSSH and iTap RDP client, are a far, far cry from iTerm and CoRD.
  • The lack of multitasking is not a show-stopper for many purposes. Most iPhone/iPad applications are well-behaved and will load quickly to the same place where you were when you left.
  • I really can touch-type on the iPad, so long as I don't need hyphens, semi-colons, or numbers.
  • The case and keyboard dock can't come quickly enough.

No comments: