Thursday, April 1, 2010

iPad and Apps

I've been perusing iTunes for free and cheap iPad apps to load up Saturday. A few thoughts:
  • Paid apps are definitely trending more expensive. I actually consider this a good thing: I want developers to have the necessary incentive to, y'know, develop. $2/app is awfully cheap.
  • Having said that, $50 for OmniGraffle, an application I love on the Mac, is mighty steep. I'd like to try it, and hopefully Omni comes out with a "lite" version for free to explore. If it's good enough, it's worth $50, but effectively sight unseen...
  • The App Store is awkward to browse. I think many are going to find it confusing to browse specifically for iPad apps.
  • Where's iBooks? Doesn't appear to be out yet. Nor is Kindle for iPad, or an updated Barnes & Noble reader. Presumably iBooks at least will be available on Saturday.
  • I had planned on picking up the iWork applications right away, but pulling the trigger on a $30 purchase (or 3x$10 purchases, whatever) is painful. I'll probably wait to play with other apps for a while first.
Update: Found a nifty application for a household: My Frame. I currently keep my birthdays in a calendar instead of address book, but perhaps I should reconsider.

Not that I have anyone else in the house to leave sticky note reminders for.

Anyway, for a house of more than one sentient being, My Frame looks like it has potential.

No comments: