Thursday, April 15, 2010

iPad News & Notes

One quick update: the ergonomics concerns I had have effectively been handled by the iPad case offered by Apple. I imagine there are cases out there which do a better job of propping it up in portrait mode, but other than that, I'm quite pleased by it.

Having said that, I make a point of removing the iPad from its case when introducing the device to someone who hasn't had a chance to play with it, because I think the iPad should always be experienced first naked (the computer, not the person).

A couple of reasons why I love Apple and the iPad?
Many years ago, I helped teach a class for people who were new to computers. I tried (and failed) to help one man who was intensely frustrated that I couldn't just tell him exactly what to do in any situation. I tried to explain that computers were too complex to anticipate every combination of uses, and that much of the learning process was simply experimenting, learning what happened when you press button X or select menu Y; he shortly stormed out of the class, never to return.

If I could find him again, I'd give him my iPad as an apology. Here, finally, is the computer he needs, but the best thing of all is that you don't have to be terrified of, or simply confused by, computers in order to enjoy using an iPad.

(Having said that: c'mon, Apple, what about that iHub appliance to let him perform backups and upgrades when he buys one?)

No comments: